Sunday, April 19, 2009

Jocelyn and Charlie's Visit

This weekend was fun. Charlie and Jocelyn came to visit. While Charlie biked insane distances both Saturday and Sunday, Jocelyn and I checked out part of Aachen. We tried to go to the Lindt Chocolate factory but, since it had already closed, we went to the Oesher Bend, a temporary, mini-amusement park (I later looked up the right term: funfair. It doesn't have animals so 'fair' didn't seem to fit). It was fun. I had cotton candy for the first time in a long time and I had a half-meter bratwurst. The 50m elevated swings weren't that much fun, though they did give a great view, but the ride that spun was great. I can't describe it very well. I just know it's very similar to the Matterhorn, but on a smaller scale. Also, there was a ride that wanted to tell people to pick up a picture taken of themselves during the ride and it kept saying in English, "Don't forget you!", which I thought was a funny direct translation from German. Watched Pulp Fiction for the first time as well. Not a bad movie. Quite a few people I've talked to here like the movie, especially the opening quotes about Europe being different than the US.

I remembered something from way back in Cologne. There was a guy that called himself DJ Mark that did Karaoke every week in Köln. He brought in what looked to be a kid's mini-training-electric guitar, a recorder, and a harmonica to accompany his singing. He was very entertaining. About 45 years old, too. But the mini-electric actually plugged into the sound system and somewhat worked. It was about as big as my forearm. Don't know why I'm remembering that now, but I thought I'd share it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment