Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Travel 5 - And I'm back

Wow. I had no idea how happy I would feel upon returning to Aachen! I walked off the train into the station and my heart felt light and a smile sprung to my face. I could read and understand everything! I felt so confident in my German as I ordered dinner. I'm really glad to be back. I really do like Germany. Especially in comparison to France. (No offense meant to anyone who is a fan of France. But without knowledge of the language it is much more difficult to get by there then it is in Germany. France is not nearly so foreigner-friendly.)
On the train ride back I was able to help point out to some Indians on the train some things to see in Cologne since they were going to have a 2 hour layover there and wanted to see some stuff in town. They are living and working in IT in Sweden and on their way back from Brussels. Apparently not an interesting place. They suggested that I never even visit it.

Hm. Another €2.30 to ride the bus back home after the train station. It's so expensive and it's the only way for me to get around other than over an hour of walking each way or a more expensive taxi ride! I wish I had more options like in the bigger cities I've stayed in.

I have my wonderful paperwork meeting downtown for foreigner registration. I hope all goes well there and that my German is good enough to explain what I need. And I hope that the next bus doesn't drive away so quickly. I just missed this one because the driver didn't even wait long enough for me to walk from the bench at the bus stop to the curb to be picked up :-/

No comments:

Post a Comment