Friday, April 10, 2009

Easter Travel 2 - Paris!

I took some short notes while traveling through Paris whenever something came into my head. I'll let you read them as I wrote them ...

This is really hard.
I'm completely unsure of where I'm going, but I'm on the subway going there. My German phone costs tons of money to use here so it's not a viable solution. I haven't yet found an English speaker, but at least one guy knew how to say 42 in English, so I found the right subway gate (I think)!
Aw! I just missed my group's boat ride by the Eiffel tower! They texted me just now.
Somehow I must still look like I know what I'm doing because I've had 3 people come up to me and ask for help. Interestingly, though one man was French, the other two were Germans! So I could speak to them, but I still don't have a clue what I'm doing. New plan: find a cafe by the Eiffel tower, I hope, for an hour wait till their boat ride gets over!
Darn. I was not on the right train (though I did find the right gate I got on the wrong train at that gate). I try again. Now I must take 3 trains to get to where I want to be. I think I understand the system now.

...And all of the above occurred within the space of five minutes.
A little later ...

Okay, I made it! Only took 2 tries and 4 trains and 40 minutes. Plenty of time left for some Ice Cream under the "Tour Eifel" :-D
It's very crowded here now. It's Good Friday and tons of Europeans are vacationing in Paris. I heard a lot of German and Spanish today. It was about 3 hours from time we got in line till time we left the tower. It's really cool! At first it didn't seem that big then it looked really big and then, from halfway to the top, it seemed gigantic. Weather was great, only sprinkled a few times, and we could see probably 30 miles from the tower. And wow, Paris is big. Just enormous.
We were there as they did the Light Show on the Eiffel Tower and we watched from the Tower at the city as the sun set and all the lights across Paris turned on. Very beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment