Monday, August 17, 2009

Alemannia Aachen


The new "Tivoli" soccer stadium in Aachen.


A few typical fans heading to the game.

You had better order this brand of pizza, or else!
(it's a Germany-wide pizza company that has a comic, too)


It's Monday and tonight was the first home game for the best-known soccer team from Aachen, Alemannia Aachen.
Why are the pictures first, you ask? Because that's where the blog puts them by default and it is easier to leave them there.

Tonight was the first home game of the season and the first game in their new stadium. The Aachen fans were numerous (~30,000) and spirited and dressed in their yellow and gold. My pictures can't do it justice, but all these people were excited to be going to the game. The public transport buses were absolutely packed. Scarves are the typical fan-wear and lots of people have them and tie them on their wrists (like the guy in the foreground of the picture above). The Aachen team was founded in 1900 (hence the number on the guy's shirt in the first picture) and has been playing ever since. Oh, I should mention that you can click on all the pictures to see them larger.

I didn't actually go to the game tonight; I just rode by on my bike to see the crowds and hear some of the chanting. I do plan to go to one of the home games before I leave town.

1 comment:

  1. Hey TJ! You know that the town that I am staying in used to have their own Trivoli Park??? Closed in December of last year though...3 month too late.

    ReplyDelete