Saturday, March 28, 2009

Japan in Europe

Hi to all the Japanese ICP students that are reading this! I took a train to and went through the Japanese Quarter of Düsseldorf today. It actually felt like I was in Japan. Most of the shops and people on the street were Japanese. I couldn't read anything :-) I went into one of the restaurants for a Japanese dinner and I tried a few things, but I can't tell you what because it was only in German and Japanese on the menu and I only know a few nouns in German for food... my main meal had Udon and Chicken and that's all I could discern :-) It was really good. [I found out a few days later that Düsseldorf has the largest Japanese population of any city in Europe.]

It finally struck me today that I'm in Europe. It was evident from how much Düsseldorf mixes old Europe and modern everything, too. US and Europe are quite similar but next to our large shopping centers we don't have 400 year old houses lining the streets and hundreds of people outside being served at a bar that their great great great grandfathers drank at. It's such a cool thing to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment